Set #3 DIY EXPLORATION for medium and large projects | Natural dyeing - 6 pigments (for cotton, linen & other vegetal fibers)
This Do-It-Yourself kit for natural dyeing contains everything you need to take a few natural fiber craft dyeing projects from start to finish.
It contains an instruction guide with all the information you'll need to clean your fabric, pre-mordant it in a tannin bath, mordant it with alum, and then dye it.
Whether you are new to dyeing or want to expand your skills, this kit will meet your needs. You will be able to transform garments, create the fabrics you need for your sewing projects or create unique pieces.
This kit is perfect for those:
- wanting to discover plant dyeing by creating more than one coloring
- who have already practiced the process of vegetal dyeing but want a ready-made set or don't want to buy too much of each ingredient.
- wanting more color options or wanting to dye larger pieces of fabric and/or larger quantities of fabric than the #2 set allows
- liking handmade and creating projects that value ancestral know-how, the return to a more 'slowliving' lifestyle where one takes the time to create by oneself.
- wishing to organize an evening of vegetal dyeing between friends. (let's say a few meetings or a weekend, since it's a rather long process!)
If you are unsure about any of the boxes, please contact me. I will be happy to guide you.
What's more in this set compared to the #2 EXPLORATION set for small and medium projects?
- This set includes 2 more pigments than the starter set.
- It also contains a larger quantity of products for cleaning and mordanting the fibers.
What you can do with this set:
The quantities of products allow you to clean, pre-etch and mordant approximately 900-1000g of fibers, then dye more or less 1000g* of plant fibers depending on the intensity of the desired color and the technique used (about double the size of #2)
What you will receive in this kit to get started with natural dyeing:
- an explanatory booklet - Introduction to vegetal dyeing on vegetable/cellulosic fibers with: tannin + alum mordant
- 40ml Synthrapol
- 40g Sodium Carbonate
- 100g Alum
- 100g of tannin - Myrobolan & gallnut
- 10g of Iron Sulfate
- 150g of pigments of different colors, 6 different pigments* that can create a multitude of colors and shades depending on the intensity of the dye bath or the use of shaders
- 25g of Indian madder extract (Rubia cordifolia)
- 25g of Carnation extract (Tagetes patula)
- 25g of Chestnut (Castanea sativa) extract
- 25g of Acacia catechu extract (Acacia catechu)**
- 25g of pomegranate (Punica granatum)**
- 25g of Himalayan rhubarb (Rheum emodi)**
*As an indication, here are the estimated weights of some pieces of fabric
- 1 T-shirt (150g)
- 1 cotton scarf bandana style (40g)
- 1 pair of cotton socks (80g)
- 1 light camisole style sweater (100g)
- 1 Turkish hand towel (120g)
- 1 Turkish beach towel (240g)
- 4 yards of medium cotton (600g)
- One 126 inch thick cotton tablecloth (900)
**These extracts are considered tannins and can be used without mordanting if desired.
Note - if you wish to dye animal fibers: This kit can also be used for this type of fiber but the accompanying guide for this technique is not yet available. Also, some products may need to be added. However, this is an appropriate mordant. If you would like to have the modified set (addition of Eucalan and cream of tartar), please write to me and let me know. I will be happy to create a set that suits your needs.
What you will need that is not included in this set:
- a cauldron
- a measuring cup or scale
- a candy thermometer
- strainer or cheesecloth
DIY kits require the use of heat and products that can be irritating to the skin and respiratory tract. If they are interesting projects to do with younger children and teens, an adult will need to supervise and often guide the completion steps.
It may be interesting to adapt the process by doing some of the steps alone (scouring the fabric and mordanting), then choose to do the dye bath and dyeing in the presence of the child so that they can participate in the activity.
Shipping & Refund
Shipping & Refund
Packaging and shipping: From the beginning of the process until the dispatch of your purchase, I take care of your order. I pack everything personally making sure you receive your purchase as I would like to receive mine.
Delivery: Usually orders are sent in two or three days unless it is a pre-order. If it is possible to combine different orders in a single shipment, we will refund the overpayment. Please contact me if you are purchasing a second item and believe it may not be too late to combine the various orders email@example.com
Orders are sent by Canada Post with tracking number and a minimum insurance of $100 which can be adjusted according to the value of the purchase.
Refund: Since each object is unique and I am a small business, there is no exchange or refund possible. If however a problem arises with your order, contact me within 14 days from the date of purchase and I will do my best to find a solution with you. Customer service and your satisfaction are my priority.
Free ShippingEnjoy free shipping in Canada on orders of $110 or more with the code FREESHIPPING110
I favor the reuse of used shipping material, otherwise the use of materials made from recycled or FSC-certified material, then recyclable and ideally biodegradable. I invite you to be creative and reuse the material yourself!